A hearty and healthy sweet breakfast. Full on chocolate flavor high in fiber and perfect for grab and go mornings.
- 2 cups of gluten free quick cooking rolled oats (see notes)
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons of ground chia seeds (see notes)
- 6 tablespoons of water
- 1 cup of full fat coconut milk (from a can)
- 1/3 cup of pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- optional: chocolate chips for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare an 8x8 inch square baking pan by lining with parchment paper.
- If you do not have ground chia seeds, grind chia seeds in a coffee or spice grinder. I would grind about 1/4 cup whole seeds and save any extra in the fridge in a sealed container.
- Place ground chia seeds in a small bowl and add the water. Stir to combine and set aside to gel up. They will be a very thick gel like consistency when ready.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients. This includes the oats, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder, and cinnamon. Whisk to combine.
- Add wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. This includes the milk, maple syrup and the ground chia seed gel.
- Use a large mixing spoon and stir to combine ingredients. Pour into the prepared baking pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the oatmeal is springy in the center when touched. Do not overbake. If you want to add chocolate chips to the top, sprinkle desired amount on the oatmeal the last
- Let cool for 15 minutes in pan before slicing. Slice into 8 large bars (or you pick the size) and serve warm or cold.
- Store in the fridge in a sealed container up to 5 days. minutes of cooking.
- be sure to use a quick cooking oat and do not substitute the for and oat that cooks fast or slower like instant or steel cut.
- the 2 tablespoons of chia seeds is 2 tablespoons of GROUND chia seeds. Measure after grinding.
- You can sub in any non dairy milk or use regular oats if you are not gluten free.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan baked oatmeal, chocolate baked oatmeal, healthy baked oatmeal