Sweet and savory paleo chicken wings- pineapple juice, coconut aminos and sesame seeds make a flavorful Asian inspired Paleo and Whole30 compliant chicken wing recipe. Baked in the oven and crispy!
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links to products I love! Any purchases made through these links help support the blog (at no extra cost for you). Affiliate links will be marked with an asterisk*. ????
When it comes to wings, I feel like they really help change up the meal routine. Obviously chicken wings make an awesome appetizer. But adding paleo or Whole30 chicken wings into your dinner or lunch rotation will make you feel like you are living the dream, while staying healthy!
Once, when I was doing a pretty strict reset I was feeling so bummed out from the boring foods I could choose from. Red meat wasn't and option and I was so sick of chicken and fish the regular ways. Then one day it dawned on me that I could have chicken wings! It made a world of difference in relieving food boredom!
No matter what type of dietary guidelines you like to follow there are loads of way to make compliant chicken wings. As long as you are choosing a smart way to cook them while using compliant ingredients you are golden!
I love a good buffalo wing, but it is fun to change it up like with these sweet and savory paleo chicken wings. Here's what we are working with today. Sweetness from pineapple juice, umami from the coconut aminos and nutty toasted sesame seeds with a hint of garlic.
Baking chicken wings
If you have never had baked chicken wings before you may be wondering how on earth it can be comparable to a fried chicken wing as far as texture. But you will be pleasantly surprised to learn that baking chicken wings will give you just as crispy of a chicken wing as frying.
Tips for crispy baked chicken wings
There are a few very key steps to making baked chicken wings crispy.
- Temperature- the temperature is hot!
- Length of time- you must cook until the skin is crispy and golden
- A wire baking rack- if you want wings that are crispy ALL the way around you need a wire baking rack. It's just like a cooling rack but it can go in the oven. If you don't have one its not a big deal, but your wings won't get crispy on the underneath.
Let's make some wings shall we?
Ingredients for sweet and savory paleo chicken wings
- Chicken wings- skin on
- Coconut aminos- I like this* and this*.
- Pineapple juice- I love to use Dole because it is not from concentrate and non gmo! Just like this*
- Sesame seeds
- Garlic powder
How to make sweet and savory paleo chicken wings
This really is a super easy recipe. I promise you can have delicious wings baked right in your oven in under an hour!
- The oven needs to be pre-heated to 425°F.
- Next, prepare a cookie sheet/baking sheet that fits your wire baking rack with foil. This will just make for an easier cleanup. Place the baking rack on top of the cookie sheet and lightly oil to keep the wings from sticking.
- Now we will make the sauce. In a bowl whisk together all of the measured out ingredients EXCEPT for the sesame seeds.
- After it is whisked and combined well, remove ⅛ cup of the sauce. Reserve this sauce for later
- Next, add your sesame seeds to the remaining sauce (not the reserve). Give it a good whisk.
- Prepare your chicken wings by drying and placing on the baking rack. Try not to let them touch to ensure even crispiness.
- Brush the sauce with the sesame seeds onto the chicken wings, evenly coating them. Use all of the sauce and discard when finished.
- Bake the chicken wings for 35 minutes. They do not need to be turned when cooking.
- After 35 minutes remove from oven and brush the remaining reserved sauce on the wings. Bake for 5 more minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy.
Looking for more wing recipes? Come back this Friday for 27 of Best Paleo/Whole30 Chicken Recipes.
Hey friend! I just want to say thanks for stopping by. And I would love if you would come join me on Pinterest! Follow me here. ????Print