This amazing salt and pepper chicken recipe is the perfect recipe for a salty, crispy chicken with a sticky sweet sauce. Whole30 friendly ingredients.
- 1 ½ pounds of chicken breast, cut into even bite size chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced ¼ inch thin
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced ¼ inch thin
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced white and light green parts only
- 1/3 cup of potato starch
- ¼ teaspoon of Chinese 5 spice powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup of cooking oil of choice (I use coconut oil or olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon of coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- Heat oil in a large deep skillet on mid/high heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together your potato starch, salt, pepper and Chinese 5 spice powder. Add your chicken and toss to coat evenly.
- Add your chicken in batches to the skillet with heated oil. Cook chicken until golden and crispy on each side, this is about 4-5 minutes a side depending on how hot and even your skillet is cooking. Be sure not to overcrowd the pan and cook in batches for crispy coating. Set aside the chicken once you have finished cooking.
- Add bell peppers and onion to the hot skillet the chicken was cooked in, being sure to leave any brown and crispy stuff in the skillet so that you get extra flavor. If you have a lot of remaining oil, drain the oil until you have about 1 TBS left in the pan before adding the peppers.
- Stir fry the peppers moving often until crisp-tender about 3-4 minutes and then add garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add sauce ingredients and scrape up any leftover browned bits. Add chicken back to pan and toss everything to evenly coat.
- Serve over rice, cauliflower rice or just as is.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: salt and pepper chicken, salt and pepper chicken fakeaway