This paleo Italian pasta salad is a zippy crunchy pepperoni summer staple, that you can rejoice being able to eat again.
Raize your hand if you are desperate to find a paleo, whole 30 side dish that isn't a freaking vegetable?! Can we just get some carb like substances up in this joint, so we can feel like normal human beings at a summer cookout?
Is it so wrong to be paleo and still want to eat classic pasta salad? I think not. So I made one. And it's made of 100% whole30 friendly ingredients, paleo and grain free.
This summer pasta dish is served cold and is:
- So healthy
- And so totally craveworthy
This recipe is one that I have truly missed having since going paleo almost 8 years ago. If you, like me, are ready to get your homemade Italian dressing covered pasta bad-self on, keep on reading to learn how.
Ingredient notes and substitutions
- Cassava pasta- These DELICIOUS pasta noodles are what makes this dish paleo and Whole30 friendly. Made only of cassava flour and they are seriously really good. I used Jovial cassava fusilli and the texture is great. I have to order online, but Kroger sells it pretty cheap and the shipping was only $4.99.
- Turkey pepperoni- You can use any type of pepperoni you prefer as long as all of the ingredients are paleo friendly. You can sub in salami if you prefer.
- Banana pepper rings- Be sure to read the ingredients of the banana pepper rings if you are super strict. Some brands have some pretty gross ingredients. You can sub in pepperoncini if desired.
- Olive oil- be sure to use light tasting olive oil here. Do not use extra virgin olive oil, the taste is too strong and will not be very good.
- Black olives- feel free to use any olive you love the most. They will all taste amazing. You could even do a mix of green and black. Yum!
- Make it your own! Don't be afraid to change the amounts of the yummy add ins of the salad. If you want less onion and more olives do it! As long as you don't go too overboard with the amount you add in, the dressing will cover it all.
- Let it chill- This recipe tastes the best when it has chilled together for at least an hour in the fridge. It isn't necessary but promotes optimal flavor. The pasta salad tastes great the next day as well. The texture stays the same, but may need to set at room temp if the olive oil seems not as smooth.
- Don't over cook the noodles- Be sure not to overcook your noodles. You want them to hold up to the add ins and dressing.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes absolutely! You could make this up to 24 hours ahead of time. Just be sure to stir it again before serving. It made need to sit at room temp before serving to let the dressing come to room temp.
Alternatively you could also prepare all of the ingredients and wait to add the dressing 1 hour before serving.
But I thought you couldn't eat pasta on the paleo diet?
Before cassava noodles you couldn't! But cassava is made from the yuca root and is 100% paleo.