A quick and easy gluten free bread loaf perfect as a side for your soup, salads and dinners! This gluten free savory cheese quick bread has an incredible flavor and so many air pockets you will never believe it is gluten free .
- 400 grams of gluten free all purpose flour (see note for cups)
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 3 teaspoons of rapid rise instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon of kosher salt
- 1 cup of milk (see note)
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- ½ cup of warm water
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1½ cups of shredded cheddar cheese (see note)
- Pre heat the oven to 375°F
- In a medium sauce pan scald your milk and butter. Set aside to cool some.
- In small bowl, mix together your warm water and yeast. Stir to combine and set aside to bloom.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, salt. Whisk to combine evenly.
- Pour the slightly cooled off milk into the dry ingredients and lightly stir to combine. Batter will be thick and ragged.
- Add your egg and bloomed yeast and gently stir to combine. Batter will become thinner and smooth.
- Fold in shredded cheese. The batter will be like a medium/thin pancake batter.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm spot to rise for 1 hour or until the batter has risen about 3 inches. It does not need to double.
- While batter is rising prepare your 9x5x3 inch loaf pan by greasing liberally with butter.
- Once risen, gently pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes. My oven had this done at 55 minutes. Crust will be a deep golden brown, and will be crusty. A toothpick inserted into the center will come out clean from batter, it may have a crumb.
- This recipe works best with King Arthur Gluten Free All Purpose flour. It is ALWAYS best to weigh your flour. If you cannot weigh use a spoon and level method and use 2½ cups + 2 tablespoons of flour.
- And thicker milk can be used, it has been tested with 2%, buttermilk (my fav) and full fat canned coconut milk
- I highly suggest you buy a block of cheese and shred yourself for the best flavor. Also feel free to change it to any flavor cheese you want!
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten free bread, savory quick bread, cheddar cheese quick bread, cheese bread