A mildly spiced soup filled with hearty tender potatoes, ground beef and Mexican spices. This ground beef and potato Mexican soup is reminiscent of your favorite taco soup.
I'm not sure there is a maximum limit of how many days in a row I can eat soup.
For WEEKS now I have eaten this Chicken and Rice Soup for lunch and I freaking love it. But I really wanted a soup with ground beef, because ground beef is so easy.
So I set out to make a taco flavored soup that was filling, budget friendly and of course easy. And this beef and potato Mexican soup checks all the boxes.
Plus it's super healthy. In fact, it is so healthy it is Whole30 compliant!
Just imagine a savory and salty tomato chicken broth with tender potatoes, ground beef and tons of spices. It's comforting and a little spicy and heaven on a cold day.
How to serve
This soup is meal rotation worthy as written, but it would be epic with tons of toppings.
Here is a few ideas of great toppings for this soup:
- a spritz of fresh lime juice
- cheese, loads of it would be epic
- sour cream
- fresh red onion
- tortilla chips
Ingredients for this ground beef and potato soup
It is a simple list friends, common ingredients making it easy for you to get dinner on the table super fast. You will need:
- ground beef
- chicken broth
- potatoes ( I used yukon gold)
- canned tomato/jalapeno mix
- cumin, chili powder, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano
- yellow onion
- red pepper
Here is list of what would be safe to sub and the soup still turn out fantastic:
- Potatoes- you can use whatever potatoes you prefer, I recommend yukon gold or russet. Just be sure whatever type you choose, you don't overcook.
- Chicken broth- feel free to sub in any broth you love the most. I think chicken broth is brighter than beef broth when it comes to flavor. In my opinion, vegetable broth tastes weird.
- Red pepper- yellow or green works too!
- Ground beef- if you prefer ground turkey or chicken that will absolutely work.
- Rotel mix- this is what adds a touch of heat to the soup. If you are avoiding spicy food, it would be best to just sub in canned diced tomatoes.
It is soup time! Let's dig in.Print