Start your day with a sweet and fresh banana, celery, blueberry detox smoothie. This Whole30 friendly smoothie tastes bright, sweet and is perfect for flushing toxins and fighting free radicals.
This smoothie y'all. It is 5 ingredients to a better life blended all together into an obsessively good smoothie.
It's the best. Like you feel your health changing as you drink it. It is sweet, but also has greens and bright lemon juice and all together it just makes you feel like a better human being when you drink it.
It has the perfect smoothie texture, not to thick, not to thin, I have seen some funky smoothie textures in my day but this one turns out part slushy party creamy 100% perfect every time. The flavors are a delicate balance of sweetness to earthy flavors.
I promise it is not your average detox smoothie. It will change your life and your health all while feeling like your are drinking a sweet treat. It doesn't taste a like a smoothie hiding greens in either, it just tastes like a fresh breath of air on a warm summer day.
This banana celery smoothie is a must have, any time of the day drink for the rest of your life. Cheers to a new you.
Benefits of celery
Celery is loaded with many health benefits that make it a powerhouse for detox smoothies. Celery comes from the Umbelliferae family which is the same as carrots and parsley.
It is an excellent source of:
- vitamins A, C, K
- folic acid
Celery's big benefits come from a phytochemical compound called coumarins. Coumarin coumpounds have been shown to prevent cancer, and enhance certain white blood cells.
Due to celery's high potassium and sodium it makes an excellent electrolyte booster.
Celery's high fiber and water content make it perfect for helping improve hearth health and digestion.
Benefits of blueberries
Blueberries come from the same family as berries such as huckleberries.
They are high source of:
- vitamin C
They contain high cancer fighting properties thanks to the antioxidant compound anthocyanidins found in them. This antioxidant is responsible for the deep pigment of the blueberries and are an exceptional for antioxidant activity especially in diseases such as Alzheimer's.
Benefits of lemon juice
Lemons are an excellent source of:
- vitamin C
- folic acid
It contains an very important phytochemical called limonene. Limonene has been showed to help with GI issues, and anti-cancer activities.
Benefits of banana
Most are probably familiar of the benefits of banana's but just in case...
Bananas are an abundant source of:
- vitamin C
A medium banana contains 440 milligrams of potassium, which is one of the most important electrolytes in the body. It is responsible for heart function and fluid balance making it automatically affect the blood pressure.
Ingredient notes and substitutions
- Coconut milk- use unsweetened coconut milk (the kind in the carton) for this recipe to keep it compliant for Whole30 lifestyles. This smoothie is already sweet, a sweetened milk would be too much. Feel free to sub in your favorite non dairy plain unsweetened milk if you don't like coconut.
- Banana- be sure to use a ripe banana. You can use fresh or frozen. I do not typically enjoy a fresh banana in smoothies but in this one, it really works. I use fresh every time.
- Celery- use the middle part of the celery known as the heart. Chop it into about 2-3 inch chunk pieces so it blends easily. If you do not have a high power blender you may need to chop smaller.
- Frozen blueberries- FROZEN is a must. Don't change this. K, thanks.
- Fresh lemon juice- this is also another must! Do not skip the lemon juice. It really makes a difference in taste. Also be sure to use a fresh real lemon, not the kind in a bottle or fake plastic lemon.
This smoothie fits into a paleo, vegan and Whole30 lifestyle or for anyone that wants to improve their general wellness.
You could, but it won't taste as frosty cold, and the texture may change. Separation will be natural so be sure to shake well before drinking.
For detox benefits I recommend drinking it in the morning on an empty stomach. For a delicious drink full of nutritional benefits drink it any time of the day.