A refreshing spinach salad just in time for spring. A sweet-tart blueberry vinaigrette dresses tender fresh spinach leaves, briny feta cheese, savory bacon and aromatic purple onions. The perfect side dish for any meal.
Do you feel like it is hard to find an easy side salad that tastes good? I ALWAYS feel like finding a "side salad" to go with dinners is a difficult task. It just seems like the salads I eat for meals aren't right as a side salad for dinner.
That is until I made this bacon, feta, and red onion spinach salad. Because this salad you guys, is awesome. And so simple because well, it only has four ingredients.
But each topping is a big hitter when it comes to flavor, so this simple salad just works.
And friends, doesn't it look fancy? I can totally see you making this for a family gathering. But this salad can totally rock a meal prep or accompany your pork tenderloin for dinner.
But the deal sealer is the blueberry vinaigrette. It's not like its uncommon to have a salad with bacon feta and onion, but when you top them with the blueberry dressing, your taste buds siiiinnnngggg! ????
This Bacon, Feta and Red Onion Spinach Salad may officially have the longest salad title in the world. But a a salad with big taste deserves a big title, right?
How else do you even name salads...thoughts? I'd love to hear your most creative title for this salad.
Pretty sure I covered the ingredients in the title and post. But just in case you aren't reading my lovely blog post (ugh, how dare you ????) here they are again.
- Fresh baby spinach
- Purple onion (also called red onion)
- Feta cheese - crumbled
- Bacon- be sure to get a nitrate free natural bacon
- Blueberry Vinaigrette Dressing
Step by step instructions
- Bacon: Place bacon on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place in a COLD oven. Turn oven on to 375F and bake for 20-23 minutes. Bake until the bacon is nice and crispy. Alternatively you could pan fry this but it is easier to just throw in the oven.
- Dressing: Make this blueberry vinaigrette dressing and place in fridge while you are finishing up the rest of the salad. It literally takes less than 7 minutes to make it.
- Spinach: Rinse and dry your spinach. I like to use my salad spinner so the leaves get really dry. If you do not have a salad spinner rinse with cool water in a strainer and then dry gently with paper towels or clean kitchen towel. I like to trim off really large stem to make it more palatable.
- Onion and feta: slice the onion into half circle slices or whatever size you love. Get that feta ready baby. If you bought pre crumbled feta you are good to go. If you have a block, crumble it up.
- Assemble: Place your bed of spinach down first in a large bowl big enough that will allow you to toss the salad. Add the bacon, feta and onion to the spinach. Pour the dressing on top and then toss the salad with two large spoons or salad tongs to evenly incorporate the dressing and ingredients.
- Alternatively you could leave this a build your own side salad bar and let everyone add the amount of toppings they desire.
Can I make this bacon, feta, red onion spinach salad ahead of time?
You can definitely get this salad ready ahead of time. I would prepare all of the ingredients ahead of time and then only place the onion on the spinach. Before serving top with the feta and bacon. Bacon can be made ahead of time and reheated quickly in the microwave to re-crisp it. Do not add dressing until ready to serve as spinach is not hardy enough to stay crisp with dressing on it.Print